Our staff will weigh in monthly on who they believe are currently the best players across the globe at their respective positions.
This deliberation, although featuring a few under the radar names was not quite as heated as last month’s (there was no Kroos vs. Modric screaming match this go round…)
Without further ado…
GK: David De Gea (Manchester United/Spain)
RB: Pablo Zabaleta (Manchester City/Argentina)
CB: Diego Godin (Atletico Madrid/Uruguay)
CB: John Terry (Chelsea/England *)
LB: David Alaba (Bayern Munich/Austria)
CM: Luka Modric (Real Madrid/Croatia)
CM: Paul Pogba (Juventus/France)
CAM: Mesuit Ozil (Arsenal/Germany)
RW: Lionel Messi (Barcelona/Argentina)
CF: Jeremy Menez (AC Milan/France)
LW: Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid/Portugal)
On the Bench:
GK: Thibaut Courtois (Chelsea/Belgium)
RB: Branislav Ivanovic (Chelsea/Serbia)
CB: Jerome Boateng (Bayern Munich/Germany)
CDM: Philip Lahm (Bayern Munich/Germany)
CAM: Santi Cazorla (Arsenal/Spain)
ST: Wilfried Bony (Manchester City/Ivory Coast)
ST: Karim Benzema (Real Madrid/France)
– Real Madrid was the only club team to field two starters (Ronaldo and Modric).
– France was the only country to field multiple players in the starting XI (Pogba and Menez).
– No Spanish outfield players were selected.
– No Brazilians were picked to either start or given a place on the bench.
– Manuel Neuer is in the doghouse, but his return to the top of this sheet is all but a fait accompli.
*designates a player is retired from international play